Tuesday, November 16, 2010

OLD CHUM / OLD FAITHFUL

Walter Manning is the man behind one of my favourite tumblrs, Old Chum. He has gained a massive following online and now he has opened a shop here in Vancouver, Old Faithful. It is a total blessing to our city. I met up with him a couple weeks ago to ask him a few questions.

AN INTERVIEW WITH WALTER MANNING

walter manning old chum old faithful vancouver blog shop

Jeff Hamada: I thought we could start off by letting everyone know about your amazing little tumblr, Old Chum. What's the story behind the "Chumblr" and how did you come up with the name?

Walter Manning: I was walking around the new Convention Center in Vancouver and they just put up all these placards about the history of British Columbia. I remember just reading every one of them as I walked around and how impressed I was with the raw initiative that went in to the development of the province: conquering the landscape, building infrastructure, hiking supplies to logging camps and felling giant firs. These were ordinary people who did extraordinary things.

I came across one placard of a picture of some men hiking supplies through the rugged landscape. One of the men had a crate on his back and on the side was inscribed "Old Chum", a Canadian tobacco company, and it all fell into place for me and Old Chum was born. The name summed up what I wanted a blog to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment